Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stuck in a Rut?

Have you ever gotten on a kick, where the only books that seem to appeal are in one particular genre? I seem to find myself on a mystery thriller kick this week. It all started with "Conspiracies" by F. Paul Wilson, my first Repairman Jack mystery, with elements of the supernatural in it. After that, I read "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James for the 1001 books-to-read-before-you-die challenge. It also contained a mystery with possible supernatural elements in, though I couldn't quite tell for sure, it's so ambiguous. All I know is that the ending is a stunner. Next came "The Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connelly, with a sleazy but likeable lawyer (I know, I know, how is that possible?) and a pretty good story. As soon as I finished that, I went straight into "Serpent" by David Wiltse, about a psycho killer who'd been abused as a boy. I don't think there's anything wrong with these kinds of novels, but they can get pretty gory and too much could get depressing, but so far I'm not depressed, only obsessed with reading more of them.

No comments: